Monday, July 30, 2012

The Heroine's Journey

Talisma Nasrin is a renown, out-spoken Bangladesh feminist. She works to build support for secular humanism, freedom of thought, equality for women, and human rights by publishing, lecturing, and campaigning. This is Supatra's own poetic response to one of Taslima's poem, "The Woman Breaking Bricks". 





            The Heroine's Journey
With you I am weeping, brick breaking girl
Your sadness drowns my heart
Your misery pierces my soul
Your pain tears me apart

I will ask all my friends,
What would you feel,
what would you say,
if brick breaking girl
lives in the USA,
works for Webcor,
building Juicy Couture? 
Will our T.V. tell her story
inside out and outside in,
Day after day?

It's you I am embracing, brick breaking girl
Your resilience lift my soul
Your forbearance fill my heart
Your fortitude I uphold

With you, and with all of us, I break the brick
We will build the great tower
And plant flowers on it
           
                                    - Supatra Chowchuvech , CHAA Thai Community Advocate


       

No comments:

Post a Comment